Barrmill Community Centre, 1 Beith Rd, Barrmill, Beith, North Ayrshire KA15 1HW
Introduction to Barrmill and District Community Association
The Barrmill Conservation group operate under the Barrmill and District Community Association. The aim of the BCG is to actively encourage locals to spend time in the local outdoor environment to benefit from green health practices and to contribute to the protection of the local biodiversity of the area.
The role of the Community Gardener
We are now seeking a community gardener who will support volunteers in the development and maintenance of the community garden.
The work will require engaging with volunteers to work on small scale horticultural projects.
- Assist the Community Development Worker in providing a varied programme of garden jobs to engage and upskill existing volunteers and attract new volunteers.
- Plan and organise jobs required to keep the community garden maintained to a high standard ensuring that it is an attractive place for locals and visitors to spend time.
- Offer horticultural support and advice to volunteers in the development and maintenance of the community garden at weekly and monthly volunteering sessions.
- Delegate garden tasks to volunteers relative to their needs and experience.
- Work with the Outdoor Community Development Worker and Therapeutic Gardener to create therapeutic areas within the garden.
- To work co-operatively with the BDCA Directors, Outdoor Community Development Worker, Therapeutic Gardener and other members of the BCG and partner organisations to deliver agreed objectives. Attend and participate in meetings as necessary, including Directors meetings, volunteer meetings and partnership meetings where required.
- Liaise with the Outdoor Community Development Worker with regards to purchases to effectively deliver the role. Be willing to source material and / or resources from our partners as required.
- Comply with the BCG health and safety policies and procedures. Be willing to undergo PVG checks and first aid training. Adhere to and carryout risk assessments as required.
- Account for work undertaken and provide briefings to the Outdoor Community Development Worker as required. Be responsible for the upkeep and submission of timesheets.
- To undertake other duties appropriate to the post in support of the BCG aims and objectives.
This post requires a PVG check. This Job Description is not contractual and will be subject to review.
Essential skills and qualities
- Horticulture related qualification and/or a minimum of 2 years consistent horticultural experience relative to the post.
- Experience in using practical knowledge/experience of horticulture to support volunteers in the development and maintenance of a community garden.
- Experience of undertaking onsite risk assessments and being responsible for the safety of everyone on site, including members of the public, ensuring that Covid-19 guidance is followed.
- Ability to work independently and as part of the team.
- Ability to keep records including time sheets and monitoring and evaluation data.
- Self-motivated and well organised with good time management skills.
- Ability to build a rapport with and enthuse a range of volunteer groups.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Good IT competences and able to use of Microsoft Office and email.
- Willingness to undergo a PVG check and First Aid training
- Able to work flexible hours as required.
- Full driving licence and access to a vehicle.
Desirable Skills and Qualities
- Experience of working in a volunteer led environment.
- An interest in healthy living/green health.
- Experience of organic gardening.
- Experience of partnership working.
- Experience of working with individuals or groups in a therapy setting.
- Experience of working with young people and youth groups, including those with challenging behaviour.
- Emergency First Aid certificate.
- Experienced in the use of Social Media to promote a community project.
Email a covering letter and CV to email@example.com